Sunday, October 30, 2022

Eternal Terroir: Chocolate Lovers Eulogy

 


Bury me with chocolate and coffee (both not sweet, with robust flavor and intensity), bury me in the earthy ‘terroir’; I’ll be in fine company with archaea, bacteria, actinomycetes, fungi, algae, protozoa, and a wide variety of larger soil fauna including springtails, mites, nematodes, earthworms, ants, and insects that spend all or part of their life underground. 


Every morning, I won’t have to get up to face the day, just lay back with my bird friendly coffee, and chocolate both with the texture of smooth. Both I and my chocolate will preserve and enhance the flavors intrinsic to the cacao and my home (bean source). I will explore a plethora of flavors to be associated with a specific place or a local producer each new day. 


Give me single-variety (cacao variety - chocolate and coffee bean), no cooperative mixing, from a single country, use the same single variety and the same fermentation and drying protocols for the days batch so that the post harvesting human impact does not hide the true ‘terroir’. 


Let me taste the true variants in flavors and variants in soil, climate, and elevation. 


Until then, I will not over analyze whether the post processing or the natural elements create what I ‘taste’ and sense, romanticize the concept of ‘terroir’. 


Upon my tombstone will be written, here lies a man who liked his coffee and chocolate, less sweet than he was, more nuanced but just a bit, as willing to accept all trades from halloween bags (snickers going traded against 2 of any other) for an occasional dip into junk food heaven, always set upon that one dark chocolate square that never ends and cup of Joe that ends with grains to chew for a final sampling of earthy flavor. 


Scelerisque, Coffee, sunt velum apertum et claudendum cinematographicae et vitae. (Chocolate, Coffee, are the opening and closing screen of cinema and life.)


~Bernie


No comments:

Post a Comment