Friday, July 5, 2019

I Am Feeling Blue: Weed of The Month



Summer in Vermont is the best cure for the earlier seasons when the sun was exhibiting chemiluminescence. (Chemiluminescence is the emission of light during a chemical reaction, which does not produce significant quantities of heat.)

Summer has arrived in Vermont. Forecasts float up to eighty and flirt with ninety degrees – for Vermonters that is a ‘heat wave’ that melts snow-shovels, and sheds dull lackluster woolens, mud boots, and snow tires.

Below seventy degrees I chill, below fifty degrees I hibernate; in Vermont winters my blood freezes, my mind atrophies. Summer heat revives and inspires me.

So you ask, why am I feeling blue now in the midst of heat and the luscious greens (there are countless shades of greens in Vermont in summer) that I love.

I am blue with joy over the blue flower, Chicory (Cichorium intybus). Also known as blue daisy, blue dandelion, blue sailors, blue weed, bunk, coffee weed, cornflower, horseweed, ragged sailors, succor, wild bachelor’s button, and wild endive. Chickory’s native range is Eurasia. It now grows throughout N.A. and commonly seen along Vermont roadsides and other untamed areas.


How many flowers boast such innocent periwinkle-blue eyes, thrive in wastelands, and rebound quickly after the highway department mows them down? These plants with their wiry stems bear no resemblance to feeling blue. They are tough, hardy, brilliantly beautiful uplifting flowers.

“Before coffee was introduced in Europe, people drank chicory-root infusions much as they do espresso today.” - Brooklyn Botanical Garden

Finches including Goldfinches love the seeds from Chicory. The plant has been used as a medicinal as well as a forage crop.

For me, chicory brightens my days as it blooms from July to October – the summer months when I too am blue with happiness.

~Bernie



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the bright spot in our days with this write up of Chicory
    S Latchem

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to grow Chicory in my garden! I know it likes compacted soil, so I am not sure how it would do. I was thinking of lining my gravel driveway with it instead. Do you have any recommendations? Should I start with seed or dig some up from roadside? Thanks in advance for any information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I do not have any experience or knowledge about planting Chicory. I do note that Vt Wildflower Farm has some roadside seed mix that includes Chicory.

      Delete