Thursday, January 27, 2022

Crackerjacks Prize - in The Little Library

Gratitude

     Sometimes the smallest of gesture, the simplest act of kindness, a comforting word or touch, be it direct or tossed into the wind, reach long and far, rippling silently well beyond their cast, arrive home, touching base at just the right time, though the intender need not, may not (forever) know of its landing, nor its deep entrenchment. 

Such are the joys of finding a book in "The Little Library" box next to the Jericho Country Store, that once entered upon its descriptive pages cast a spell, creating nothing short of spellbound not for so much the plot as the nuance, the particulars of ingenuity, wit, erudition, following a man searching for purpose. 

     For the person who left the book, "A Gentleman in Moscow" by Amor Towles, in the Crackerjack box - The Little Library, I say Thank You, and know that your morsel deposited, now steak and onions and a very pleasant chalice of wine, has arrived upon my palate and enveloped its words with my mind and soul. 

   Laugh, Dream, Try, and Do-Good. And on cold Vermont winter days, nestle up to the woodstove with many good books and a warm-hearted partner.

Bernie

Comments:

A Gentleman in Moscow was one of the best books I have ever read. 

-Patricia M.

Bernie --- so glad you picked up A Gentleman in Moscow, which has been making the rounds in Jericho for the last few months. 

I too picked it up from the little library by the Jericho Country Store and just loved every second of the book. I then returned it to that same spot hoping someone else would appreciate it as much as I did. 

Amor Towles' amazing prose is some of the best writing I have ever read. If you get a chance, I highly recommend his two other books, "Rules of Civility'' and "The Lincoln Highway". Both are excellent and available through the library loan program (TLH has a waiting list since it came out in the fall). Happy reading and stay warm on these cold nights.

-Steve M.


That’s an amazing book Bernie! I loved it too. Cheers, Eric

-Eric B.


I enjoy your words, tho I do hope as you describe the enjoyment of these morsels of food and knowledge, that they arrived upon your palate, and not simply your pallet, which would be unlikely to bring pleasure of the sort that you describe ;) 

Warm regards And sorry - I just couldn’t help it! ;). 

-Tammy M. 

Author's note: Spell check spelled what I typed instead of what I meant. :) 

 Since corrected. 


Cuz,  

It is of no surprise to me that you would thoroughly devour this book!  Actually, who could not totally appreciate the wonderful turn of phrase such as "he was liberating a wedge of the plum from its pit with his paring knife," or "Fatima knew a flower's fragrance, color, and purpose better than a bee" -- just a couple of the many gems.  But you, of all people, can relate to Rostov/Towles since you too "have been known to fence with a quill"!!  Absolutely love that one!  Not to mention the colorful characters we meet along the way and the interesting glimpse into the times.

Your note reminded me that I was midway through this read (have several in that state) when some distraction took me down another path.  So, thank you for reminding me that I have a tasty half-eaten feast sitting on my bed stand, just waiting to be polished off!

Chris L. 

N.C.


What lovely words you gave us!  They were the entry to my day this morning and for that I thank you.  I do hope you find the proper benefactor, but all will not be lost if not as the rest of us have gotten to be part of the journey.

- Polly C. 







No comments:

Post a Comment