Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Halloween Glass Jars

 

Glass Jars


It is Halloween

kids be darned

candy treats

I have always adored Halloween, especially the candy.


Those glass jars

each filled with loose goodies

cinnamon balls, 

smarties, Jujubes,

Swedish fish, *Goetze’s - yum yum,

root beer barrels (Maeve's favorite), 

Reeces miniature peanut butter cups,

licorice squares...

they all look back at me through the glass

like cats and dogs at an animal shelter -

"adopt me, take me home with you

they all shout out". 


My saliva flows,

my heart races,

my tongue swells,

my stomach growls

I break out in a sweat

every time I enter the Jericho Country Store

and face those glass jars

not set inconspicuously at all

those sweet devils know how to tempt us.


All year long I save my pennies, my nickels,  

and any francs, pesos, and Danish Krone I come across.


When the day before Halloween finally arrives

all the wee little ones, all the kids watch in awe

as I fill the scoop 

from the first jar, then the second, the third,

down the line, 

then move up to the next row of jars 

finally ending with the third row.


A paper bag of bounty 

a pirate would risk the noose or the plank for - 

is placed on the scale. 


Anything under a pound is hardly worth the effort.

A canvas sack of coins spills across the counter

worthless metal for tantalizing flavored sugar.

My eyes never leave the paper bag now doubled 

to hold the weight. 


Giddy am I as I nearly fly home

past witches and goblins

pumpkins and lanterns

all the faux Halloween stuff

can't compare to penny candy

even at twelve dollars a pound. 


Tis only the day before Halloween

only one of each is allowed

or risk a witch spell 

of braces locking one's jaw closed.


Come Halloween 

two red cinnamon (eye) balls peer over the top of the jar

Jujubes and Swedish fish swim around and around the jar

Red Vines sit at their school desk with Smarties at the teacher's desk

Goetze's caramel cream cow tails swish about

Bit o Honey stays in a corner away from the other sugar guys.


The whole jar rattles

red, green, yellow, brown, white, 

colors mix 

flavors flow

I can barely contain myself 

the cover loosens

ever so slowly

carefully I open 

reach in

candies fight to get close 

swim in between my fingers

melt into my pores

as I pull out a handful

savoring one after the other.


How can I make them last 

all of Halloween Day?


Already one-third of the jar 

is diminished

and 

it 

is 

only 

half hour

into

breakfast 

time.

1 comment: