Friday, May 10, 2019

Spring walk: Plains, Schillhammer, Browns Trace


Photos of a mid April walk along Plains, Schillhammer and Browns Trace


No words required. 
Listen to your steps, breath, birds, breeze, trees                   
and your heart. 



Coltsfoot (not native to the U.S)











Bit of yellow on my five mile walk about Jericho. Most of the leaves are coming out green with apprehension, the yellow flowers have ear muffs on, the peepers are chillin as much as peeping, the pussy willows are thankful for the queen honeybees to help keep them warm. And I in my cap hurry home and settle my brain down for a long SPRING nap – hoping that when I awake, mud galoshes will no longer be needed in the backyard, and the wildflowers will not have drowned, and the thermometer will no longer profess a false spring.





Reading that you aren’t sure, I say with much more authority, I even declare that it is a Comma. Armed with newfound knowledge, I also pass on that Commas hibernate! That’s why they are so early. They’ve just been hiding in the leaves all winter. Those have a spring “litter” and their butterfly offspring putter around long enough to reproduce in the fall and their offspring will hibernate until next spring. Cool, eh? ~Sally



American Robin (Lecustic)








1 comment:

  1. Thanks Bernie. Nice photos per usual. Nice view of Eastern Comma, orange
    form and no doubt one that has wintered over. If you can get the underside of
    this group, it would be a huge plus in making a definitive identification.
    don

    ReplyDelete